Spur of the Moment

So, something strange occurred today. Actually, it was more unexpected than strange. I originally planned to finish my nanotechnology homework today, but I ended up distracting myself by focusing on a kickstarter. While my interest in kickstarter projects is nothing new, this is the only project I've written a 2.5K word essay about.
...
I posted the essay over two posts within the comments section of the kickstarter since the character limit prevented it from being one post.
...
I also emailed a link of the google doc version to the feedback system on the creator's official website.
...
I've done strange things before, but I don't recall ever writing an analytic essay just because "I felt like it." Interest and passion are mysterious sentiments, the motivation they provide can result in uncharacteristic behavior. Like an initial domino in a Rube Goldberg device that ends with an atheist preaching of theology. If I see someone doing something that I agree with, I'd prefer it if it was done correctly. This is my first post in a while, but it feels appropriate considering how much I've already written today. Nothing on this blog really qualifies as coherent since there isn't an overall theme or focus, most of the posts are just a collection of links and images so I have no idea why I originally posted them. If I ever seriously develop this blog the primary focus would be either video games, me and if I somehow get motivated enough, stories.

Getting back to my original story, this all started on February 14th around noon. Everything was occur business as usually until I decided to skim kickstarter for the latest game projects. What I found was CosmicBreak 2, a sequel for the multiplayer online game CosmicBreak. CosmicBreak's main appeal is toward anime and robot enthusiasts, the core game revolves around customizing characters for PvP combat.With hundreds of characters with unique abilities and part, the interest it garnered from its target audience is pretty clear. My memory from back in the day is pretty hazy at this point, but I believe I originally found CosmicBreak though an ad I saw on a homepage of a Japanese flash game creator that I followed. While I didn't play the Japanese version that much due to the language barrier, it left a lasting impression as a mecha game with deep customization. I don't have the slightest memory of how I learned about the English version of CosmicBreak, but I heard about it just in time to get into a couple of the beta periods and I kept playing well after the official release. Even though my interest to play eventually waned I kept checking in from week to week just to see the new characters. Fast forward to yesterday and I was pleasantly surprised to learn that a sequel was being developed and was looking for additional funding. The graphics have been significantly improved, but that's to be expected since the original Japanese version came out in 2006. The gameplay appears faithful to the original while also having significant differences in order to focus on the use of character specific abilities. Overall CosmicBreak 2 presented itself as a valid successor to CosmicBreak, but the presentation of the kickstarter concerned me.

Although the kickstarter for CosmicBreak 2 started on February 13th, I only found out by chance on February 14th while browsing kickstarter. While I consider myself far from being up-to-date on everything CosmicBreak related, I check enough through common channels to hear important announcements when they've been posted. Since I don't check facebook in general, the announcement wasn't posted in any of the usual places. That an announcement for CosmicBreak 2 wasn't posted on CosmicBreak's official website left me dumbfounded. While the excuse could be CosmicBreak's staff not working past 7PM on Friday, it's not an acceptable excuse if their kickstarter was posted that same day. There are two important times for a kickstarter project, the first day and the last day since a large amount of funding is generally earned on both those days. To botch the execution of the first day through lack of advertisement is utterly ridiculous, they should have simply started the kickstarter at the beginning of a work week after properly informing all potential backers. Starting from here after reading through everything on the kickstarter page I was convinced that someone had to at least attempt to inform the creator of my concerns. Since the internet as a whole is general unreliable when expecting people to help each other, I analysed the data from their previous successful kickstarter project and compared it with the data for the current project so far. This eventually lead to the 2.5K word comment on the kickstarter page. I'd explain my concerns with the kickstarter itself, but it's late and this has already become my largest blog post to date. I'll provide additional details later if I feel like it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BREAKARTS: Digital racing robots

Change of pace or format?