Ideas

A concept that intrigues me is the marriage of uniqueness and inspiration, that a product can be particular in what it can offer as a result of referencing those that already exist. By reaching a threshold of quality it cannot be considered a imitation trying to usurp the original's audience through deception. This dawned upon me when seeing GHost93 for the first time, a doujin game by BlackBastard (not racist).

The game has 2D stealth-platforming that is supplemented by first-person shooting and 2D perspective manipulation. While I think the game looks fun and interesting, it seems a lot more difficult than something I would actually play. For me, it appears to be too much processing for someone who isn't good at Capcom titles. For the same reasons, I find SwarmSweeper Prototype rev.2 and REVOLVER360 RE:ACTOR amazing in their own right. While SS isn't a finished product yet, the swarm AI is mesmerizing. RR peaks my interest in using 2D perspective manipulation in a side-scrolling shooter situation, a very impressive first that I've seen. While I can't say for certain if the perspective changes are manual or automatic, having the changes integrated with play make a treat to watch.

Lately, I've felt a bit of fatigue in how there is such a large variety in video games while still not having anything available that fit every mood. While I can't say that I always know what type of game would fit the moment, combining ideas seems to be the best fit. To an extent, it is true that no new ideas arise if the same areas are always focused on. However, innovation is most significant if it becomes painfully clear in hindsight. Games with dynamic moving backgrounds have been present for over a decade, but why do so few consider changing how the background is viewed to directly impact play? Why having processing and graphics improved to the point of rendering hundreds of characters on screen at once, but nothing is scaled to the point of feeling like an ant in a tornado of bees?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BREAKARTS: Digital racing robots

Change of pace or format?

Spur of the Moment